Store
Players Online: 39.4k Support Forums Client
Subscribe
Open Letter to the Staff Team
Good evening everyone, I hope you’re all having a nice afternoon :P Three weeks ago, as you all know, the closure of Badlion was announced. While this is hard, I believe it is the right decision. It isn't Badlion giving up, it's knowing the right time to call it a day.

However this said, working on Badlion has been an absolute pleasure. I won’t forget a lot of things about my amazing time here, but primarily I really won’t forget the people I’ve met, and especially those I’ve had the pleasure to manage in some form or another. You all have been what has made Badlion such a lovely place for me, and in years to come when I will no doubt forget so much, you are what I will remember about it.

I suppose I decided to make this an open letter for several reasons. The first being that there are many people who left the Staff team, but who I still wanted these to see this. It’s as much directed at them as it is everyone else. But secondly, I didn’t want this to be tucked away in a corner of the Staff forums because I certainly feel it's no secret that I’m extremely fond of the Staff team and everyone on it. There is no sensitive information in this thread, just the cold hard truth.

I guess for a lot of you on the team, there would have been the good days and of course the bad. But I honestly hope you look back, remembering more positive than negative. The sheer work ethic you’ve all shown is unbelievable, and I do just want to say that myself and the other admins here appreciate it so so much. I get that at times you may have just felt like another cog, another part which can easily be replaced in a heartbeat. But although it may have seemed that way at times, it was certainly not true. We all value what you all have done so much, and you should all be immensely proud of everything you’ve accomplished.

To kind of be more specific on what you have all done. It was such important work. Nothing functions properly without rules and regulations, and guess what? If they have the opportunity to, most people will try to break the rules. So thus there must be individuals around to make sure they follow them. That’s pivotal. You have all been those individuals. Keeping players safe, secure and making sure they have a fair and fun experience on Badlion. Would Badlion have been so successful without such a good Staff team? Not a bloody chance. If you look here we have the punishment page, and at the top is the total punishments. Which I’ve got to say is a mind blowing amount. What’s important to remember though is that each Ban and Mute isn’t just a number. Each one of those was a small step towards a safer, more equal and less toxic Badlion. So was it all worth it, did we achieve something? I definitely think so.

In life, it can sometimes be common to look back and be ashamed you were ever apart of something. But I don't believe I'll ever have that feeling with Badlion. It's truly been an honour for me. I've played on servers of all different types, big and small. Naturally I've came across a lot of Staff teams in that time. Some staff teams have been shocking, others were not so bad. However, I never came across one which is to the same standard as Badlions. None came close to having the same levels of transparency, competency, ability to work under pressure, and general success in achieving their objectives as Badlions. It was not perfect, but it's as close to perfect that we've ever seen in my books. That's a credit to anyone who is, or has ever been on the team.

So, to begin to wrap this up. I wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone. To the Owners, for making such a brilliant network, and placing trust in me. To McNerd and Ginie, who gave me many so opportunities while they lead Arena, and will always be role models for me. To the Managers, Seniors and Blue tags. Past and present, for all your fantastic work. For giving your time up to give players a better experience. For being unrelentingly mature, friendly and loyal. For making this journey so memorable. Then lastly, I wanted to thank the players, seeing this is an open letter. Simply put, you guys made Badlion what it is.

Now lastly, try to always look on the bright side of life. Life is a roller coaster, and sometimes it's not easy. But stay true to yourself, fight the good fight. Always see the good in people, and remember that you are all extremely gifted and talented people with such unbelievable potential. Use that potential however you desire, and shape your life how you imagined it to be in your dreams.

Farewell Everyone, it's been a good run. o7
PM Link
Thank you Luke for everything you have done for us/me! It's been a great run and I don't regret a second of it. You have been a great admin and you were also a great mentor & manager.
PM Link
You were such a kind, funny, an inspirational and team leader to manage and coordinate the Moderator team. It has been great working under you Luke and I believe that later on in the future you will eventually reach the place where you want to go. You’re the example of a person who always make sure that everyone is comfortable with doing what they do and looking after people who you care about. It’s been a great run with the Network and I thank you for everything you did for me and for the whole of the staff network and network itself. Good luck for the future, and I hope we can keep in contact :).

PM Link
Bye o7
PM Link
I'll write you a personal message in the dms(if I remember to), so I will keep this fairly short. Over the 1.5 years I've been a staff member, I truly think that this has been one of the best few years of my life. The staff team and the community is so diverse and yet we can all consider ourselves to be one giant family, the Badlion family. These memories will last a lifetime for me and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for me, for others, and especially you Luke. I remember the first time I ever saw you when I first got staff, you were only a senior at the time. Watching you get to where you are right now truly amazes me of what people are capable of accomplishing. I truly believe that as long as you put effort into something, you can achieve almost anything to your hearts desire. As slypering said above, you're the perfect example of someone who is a role model for a hard worker, someone who is compassionate for what they do, a kind person in general and so much more. Thank you <3
PM Link
Thank you Luke!
PM Link
o7
PM Link
Thank you, Luke. You have been such a massive impact on this staff team and it is clear to me that you are a very respected leader. Your inspirational tweets will always be remembered <3

o7
PM Link
o7
PM Link
aga b
PM Link
<3
PM Link
o7 Thanks Luke! It's been a privilege working under you! All the best in you future! :)
PM Link
I never really got to talk with you, but I've heard nothing but great things from people in your division, and I seriously respect the amount of work you've put into badlion and your jobs here. Great post, and thanks for all you've done for the network. :)
PM Link
o7
PM Link
I'm going to completely brutally honest now that I've been gone from the staff team and community for awhile.

I feel this is simply text on a forum page, and not actually meant to the fullest extent to which it is implied.

When I was a staff member, the higher ups never recognized my hard work and dedication unless I was either getting scolded, or I was getting promoted somehow. Never, not once, has any higher up pulled me aside and said how much of a good job I have done. Not once. Yeah, it's cool to get some general open letter long after the fact, but this letter did not ever effect my internal morale during my time on Badlion.

The administration treated the staff members as pawns to a greater game. Yeah, those pawns were important, but individually those pawns were unimportant. What I mean by this is that the administration obviously cared for the staff team as a whole because it was necessary to have. But, each staff member as an individual was left unappreciated by all higher ups within the staff team. Obviously, there were some exceptions. Most admins had obvious favorites which were people they were friendly with, including yourself luke. These favorites were often the ones who benefited the most because they were the ones who often recieved thanks for their actions, and they were the ones who were more easily promoted.

It's also a damn shame because I know the higher ups didn't give a single shit about its staff team when I was on the team. This was esspecially apparent when I was a cm. Right before I resigned, there was a somewhat important argument made between myself, some cm's, and tbhitslizzy. This argument was about whether or not to address the issues within the staff team with a staff feedback night (which had happened not a long time ago at the time, but things had progressively gotten worse internally). The issue was that we hadn't done a regular community feedback night in awhile, so we needed to show the community some love and prioritize that. I completely agree that we should have prioritized the community at the time. But, I also thought we should address the issues within the staff team as many more people were planning on potentially resigning at the time. Rather than listening to me and hearing out my argument, my discussion was shit down, and tbhitslizzy made it clear that we were doing only the community feedback night for an unknown, seemingly arbitrary reason. Not only was my argument shut down because my output, or any other cm's output, inferior to lizzy's opinion, but our job was essentially completely nullified as the presedent was set that lizzy's opinions mattered more than the community and staff team's. She then proceeded to get archy to back her up and support her argument, which solidified that same idea within Badlion's ownership.
PM Link

UVpickles wrote

I'm going to completely brutally honest now that I've been gone from the staff team and community for awhile.

I feel this is simply text on a forum page, and not actually meant to the fullest extent to which it is implied.

When I was a staff member, the higher ups never recognized my hard work and dedication unless I was either getting scolded, or I was getting promoted somehow. Never, not once, has any higher up pulled me aside and said how much of a good job I have done. Not once. Yeah, it's cool to get some general open letter long after the fact, but this letter did not ever effect my internal morale during my time on Badlion.

The administration treated the staff members as pawns to a greater game. Yeah, those pawns were important, but individually those pawns were unimportant. What I mean by this is that the administration obviously cared for the staff team as a whole because it was necessary to have. But, each staff member as an individual was left unappreciated by all higher ups within the staff team. Obviously, there were some exceptions. Most admins had obvious favorites which were people they were friendly with, including yourself luke. These favorites were often the ones who benefited the most because they were the ones who often recieved thanks for their actions, and they were the ones who were more easily promoted.

It's also a damn shame because I know the higher ups didn't give a single shit about its staff team when I was on the team. This was esspecially apparent when I was a cm. Right before I resigned, there was a somewhat important argument made between myself, some cm's, and tbhitslizzy. This argument was about whether or not to address the issues within the staff team with a staff feedback night (which had happened not a long time ago at the time, but things had progressively gotten worse internally). The issue was that we hadn't done a regular community feedback night in awhile, so we needed to show the community some love and prioritize that. I completely agree that we should have prioritized the community at the time. But, I also thought we should address the issues within the staff team as many more people were planning on potentially resigning at the time. Rather than listening to me and hearing out my argument, my discussion was shit down, and tbhitslizzy made it clear that we were doing only the community feedback night for an unknown, seemingly arbitrary reason. Not only was my argument shut down because my output, or any other cm's output, inferior to lizzy's opinion, but our job was essentially completely nullified as the presedent was set that lizzy's opinions mattered more than the community and staff team's. She then proceeded to get archy to back her up and support her argument, which solidified that same idea within Badlion's ownership.

#Pickles4Retired
PM Link
Nice thread. Thanks for everything Lukey <3
PM Link
o7 bye Luke you were such a good admin :^)
PM Link

UVpickles wrote

FUCKING FACTS
PM Link

UVpickles wrote

Thank you for this insight. I can totally relate to this. This explains why not much came out of the cm team. She also banned me, just because she didn’t like me. Honestly I feel like a lot of admins failed, and the just favorised their friends, especially when it came to promotions and credit given. Rumours also spread easily, and some people were just mean. If you had bad blood you would never get rid of it. Some people just ruined the team, because they had a problem themselves. It was not really a team, people were competing against each other for promotion.
PM Link