Store
Open Letter to the Staff Team
It's ever so simple to group everyone up as whole and categorize the work ethic of everyone, regardless of who did what and what had been done. Thanking people should be done individually, where it's actually meaningful and recognized. Promotions shouldn't have been the only time people were commended individually for what they had done, sorry. Those that had clearly put more effort into what they had done, and truly aimed for Badlion to be a better place don't shine in this thread whatsoever.

I really wish this staff team had been of such high standard as it had been showcased as all along though. In the "behind the scenes" view of anything, you'd easily be able to conclude that the staff team was an unorganized mess. The mass majority of current and old staff just competed against each other for mutes and bans, desperately trying to be promoted on the team. Information was constantly leaked among everyone that had the chance to listen. Everyone talked shit about people behind their backs. I mean, truly I could go on all day about what was wrong with what had been going on.

Taking back something positive from the experiences I went through towards the end of my time is very difficult. Nothing like getting threatened with a demotion for being told "congratulations on senior" by a large group of people, being demoted for sniping people, and not even getting a retired rank for the immense amount of work I had done for over a year. I was constantly ridiculed for being immature, but was surrounded by people way younger than me with much worse to say. The administration on the network was very biased, and anyone smart enough had stuck by them the closest they could. *cough* xironmatt *cough*

"But, each staff member as an individual was left unappreciated by all higher ups within the staff team. Obviously, there were some exceptions. Most admins had obvious favorites which were people they were friendly with, including yourself luke. These favorites were often the ones who benefited the most because they were the ones who often recieved thanks for their actions, and they were the ones who were more easily promoted."

Quote above by David sums it up pretty well itself.

At the end of the day, the staff team was rainbows and butterflies for anyone that had actually benefited off the constant neglect that the administrators had showcased towards their staff. Anyone that wasn't liked, appreciated, or was left out simply didn't have a positive experience, myself included. Please don't act as though the staff team was so tightly nit and perfect when it was the complete opposite. Anyone that said there was a problem became the problem.
PM Link
Thank you Luke for all the opportunities I had here. Obviously I already messaged you guys on twitter, but you and a lot of the other admins had quite a lot of interaction with me! There are some that I’ve never personally spoken to, but the two departments I’ve been part of have been very helpful and I couldn’t ask for better admins. Also the GCheat admins I’ve contacted in the past were exceptionally helpful and I couldn’t ask for a better admin team.
My manager has also been a great part of my journey here on badlion, often telling me how well I’d done and answering any questions I had. It’s not often that an admin team and management have a lot of communication with their staff and I’ve found that. I don’t know if it’s the same for everyone else.
Personally I’ve made numerous friends here, including some admins, who I hope to continue having communication with. I mean, how can admins be ignorant and not respond (following posts above mine) when I get 2 personal messages from admins saying happy birthday.

Thanks Luke, o7 and I hope to continue having communication with you.
PM Link
Thank you for everything Luke!
PM Link

UVpickles wrote

I'm going to completely brutally honest now that I've been gone from the staff team and community for awhile.

I feel this is simply text on a forum page, and not actually meant to the fullest extent to which it is implied.

When I was a staff member, the higher ups never recognized my hard work and dedication unless I was either getting scolded, or I was getting promoted somehow. Never, not once, has any higher up pulled me aside and said how much of a good job I have done. Not once. Yeah, it's cool to get some general open letter long after the fact, but this letter did not ever effect my internal morale during my time on Badlion.

The administration treated the staff members as pawns to a greater game. Yeah, those pawns were important, but individually those pawns were unimportant. What I mean by this is that the administration obviously cared for the staff team as a whole because it was necessary to have. But, each staff member as an individual was left unappreciated by all higher ups within the staff team. Obviously, there were some exceptions. Most admins had obvious favorites which were people they were friendly with, including yourself luke. These favorites were often the ones who benefited the most because they were the ones who often recieved thanks for their actions, and they were the ones who were more easily promoted.

It's also a damn shame because I know the higher ups didn't give a single shit about its staff team when I was on the team. This was esspecially apparent when I was a cm. Right before I resigned, there was a somewhat important argument made between myself, some cm's, and tbhitslizzy. This argument was about whether or not to address the issues within the staff team with a staff feedback night (which had happened not a long time ago at the time, but things had progressively gotten worse internally). The issue was that we hadn't done a regular community feedback night in awhile, so we needed to show the community some love and prioritize that. I completely agree that we should have prioritized the community at the time. But, I also thought we should address the issues within the staff team as many more people were planning on potentially resigning at the time. Rather than listening to me and hearing out my argument, my discussion was shit down, and tbhitslizzy made it clear that we were doing only the community feedback night for an unknown, seemingly arbitrary reason. Not only was my argument shut down because my output, or any other cm's output, inferior to lizzy's opinion, but our job was essentially completely nullified as the presedent was set that lizzy's opinions mattered more than the community and staff team's. She then proceeded to get archy to back her up and support her argument, which solidified that same idea within Badlion's ownership.
still can't believe you didn't get retired
PM Link
I like how the current staff members are just saying thanks and such without their feedback and past demoted/retired staff members are giving their honest feedback, really makes you think
PM Link
#1 pasttime of being tournament staff was making fun of UHC staff
PM Link

Bobbles wrote

I like how the current staff members are just saying thanks and such without their feedback and past demoted/retired staff members are giving their honest feedback, really makes you think

They are just sucking Luke's shlong for retired lmao.

#Pickles4Retired
PM Link
even though the staff team was practically falling apart when I joined it as Archy had pretty much left by that time, and there are a ton of things that went wrong in the staff team which could've easily been avoided, it was still extremely fun to be a mod and I made a ton of amazing friendships on the staff team. Thanks Luke, you were definitely one of the good admins whoa actually cared about the server.
PM Link
As my time as a staff member it was quite interesting. The first time through I was pretty excited but I wasn't praised at all or congratulated until promotion. I was constantly yelled at by my manager and was criticized for the smallest of things. Not a great experience.

Second time through my manager (Wqrrior) was really nice. But it was just demotivating because the only thing that kept people motivated was sweating to get a promotion. But obviously it doesn't matter what you do because unless you suck up to your higher-ups your not gonna get far. I resigned eventually because there wasn't a point anymore and I would just spend 2 hours to get a single ban.

Another thing that bothered me was that it was sad to see that many staff members changed their whole personality when they staff. I can admit that I changed a bit too because everyone is so caught up in looking their best in-front of their higher-ups that people just completely change. And I hate that because they are so desperate for a minecraft tag that will not get them far in life.

It's also sad to see that other staff members go behind each other backs so that they can't get promoted. It happens all the time and I don't get it why people are so power hungry.

I know not everyone's perfect but the team was so flawed and nothing was really done about it. There was a huge demotivation inside the staff team that no one did anything about it. The most I saw was a survey addressing the topic.

Badlion let itself die and wasn't organized from start to beginning. Ever since Archy stepped down from his main position the whole team/server fell apart. It was a great server just poorly managed towards the end.

The server had lots of potential and the best decision Badlion probably ever made was the Player Council. It was super easy for ideas to get recognized from a group of chosen players. Sadly a lot of the ideas weren't recognized as much but it was pretty decent at the start.

One decision why I'm still confused about was the power Badlion gave to Mentally, SuchSpeed, and Mistazel. Suchspeed did absolutely nothing but milk views from his admin rank and you guys did NOTHING about it. Mentally just made changes without telling PC and ended up ruining the whole rating system. But I'm not blaming Mentally for this. You guys power to the wrong hands and I have no idea why you would do that considering they are also working with another huge network. On top of that I have no idea why you didn't change it in the beginning season either. The server would've survived a little longer if these stupid decisions were not made.

Another dumb decision was having the whole dev team focusing on BLC. I'll praise you and say that you've done an excellent job on the client and am quite impressed how far you've come but you just let the open server in the dust. It's like you planned the server's death by doing this.

Another thing I liked was your scrimming system. It was actually quite good and easy to practice on for tournaments.

Going back to the staff team. Towards the end I felt like trials were being accepted WAY to easy. I think I passed my trial phase in like 7-9 days. Which also brings up the point that many staff just can't recognize cheats that well. It's that or they're too afraid to ban because if they make a mistake then they might not get promoted!

Another mistake that disappointing was the lack of forum development. It takes forever for little easy things to be fixed like arena stats for S16. Forums are my favorite place to go but it doesn't get lots of attention.

That's all I have to say and I feel bad for criticizing my favorite server but I felt like my opinion needed to be said here.

Here's a great thread: https://www.badlion.net/forum/thread/185663 (me)

#Pickles4Retired

PM Link
Thanks for everything Luke!

o7 :c
PM Link

Limeintine wrote

It's also sad to see that other staff members go behind each other backs so that they can't get promoted. It happens all the time and I don't get it why people are so power hungry.

Badlion let itself die and wasn't organized from start to beginning. Ever since Archy stepped down from his main position the whole team/server fell apart. It was a great server just poorly managed towards the end.
Huge facts
PM Link
thanks for retired

@UVpickles
PM Link
everyone writing these inb4 its a joke
PM Link