Store
Time for the next Chapter
Hey everyone,

When I first started playing Minecraft is now about 7 years ago. I got to find about the game through school when a friend of me was playing it during class and I got interested in it as well. Around the same time I also learned to code in school and I pretty quickly found out that Minecraft has a very easy way to create plugins and others as well. That's how I got into Java coding & Minecraft development.

I originally joined Badlion way back when it was mainly just a server for Arena & UHC mainly to play the UHCs back then. I was just a small player back then who actually looked up to some of the streamers from around that time. I still remember watching AbbyMines, Veacon, LegendxTaz and AciDicBliTzz. Back then the community was a lot different than the one right now. At that point Minecraft was still about the fun side of things. Cheaters were looked at very badly that nobody at that point really did it. Games were fun, people played for the fun rather than just sweating to get kills/wins or good stats.

The first time I applied for a developer position with Badlion in the beginning of 2015. At that time I wasn't accepted since I didn't really look into the technical parts of coding yet and my knowledge wasn't good enough at that time. Back then I was pissed about it yes, but it also gave me the motivation to actually learn more, expand my knowledge and get to know more about the technical part of coding & development.

In June 2016 I applied to become a UHC host for Badlion and got accepted not much later. That's where my path with Badlion as a staff member officially started. I was one of the most active hosts around that period hosting up to 5 games a day sometimes. My motivation for it was just to give other players a place to play and enjoy the game they enjoy.

Then back in August 2016 Badlion tweeted out they were looking for developers to work for them full-time. At that point I felt like I should give it another shot after I've spend enough time for myself to learn more about everything needed. After going through the whole application process I then received the good news I was being accepted as one of the new full-time developers to work for TEO on the Badlion Network starting on October 1st 2016.

While being a developer for Badlion I definitely learned a lot more as well. Got to know how to create some more advanced systems, learned working with more tools, different libraries and definitely also to work more organised and optimized. I've had a blast working on the plugins, gamemodes, back-end and everything needed to make the network work and then seeing all the players actually play on it and have fun doing so. That's what has been my biggest motivation while working here. I sometimes spend full 24 hour shifts of work right before new features launched just to make sure it was all done and working as good as possible. I also had moments I felt like "why the fuck am I doing this" and losing motivation a bit but then each time seeing all the players enjoying it kept me going since I didn't want to let the community down.

Now during these 2 years (starting from back when I became host) I've got to known a lot of new friends as well. Some which have eventually even became some of my closest friends I wouldn't even trade for IRL friends. People may think it's cringe or weird to spend more time talking to online people but so be it. I've always enjoyed it since the people I talked to felt like real friends and it's also nice to get to know people from over the whole world and actually learn about different cultures etc.

Since we all know today marks the final day of Badlion as well and it's also marking my last day being part of the Badlion development team. The main reason for me actually leaving the team was financial reasons due to taxes being too high in Belgium and the Dollar losing it's value over the course of a couple months. I actually started looking for a new job before the shutdown of the actual network was announced. So yeah it's actually more of a coincidence that I'm starting my new job tomorrow being the day after Badlion shuts down.

So to end of I'd like to thank all my friends who've been supportive during this period and kept me going even on the less fun moments, MasterGberry for actually giving me this opportunity back in 2016, the whole Badlion development team (both those still there and those who already had to leave) for giving me such a nice place to work and fun people to work with, the whole staff team for helping out making the server a nice place to play and ofcourse all the players who've been supporting Badlion through it's good and bad moments.

I'll also be answering some questions in case people have them related to my time with Badlion or my future in how far I'm actually allowed to talk about it of course.
PM Link
Gl in life and on ur new job :P Hope ur still gonna be around.You were by far one of the most dedicated devs and im sure many more people appreciated what you did.
PM Link
Thank you for everything you've done for badlion and for us. You have definitely been one od the most dedicated devs, nad we all appreciate it. Good luck with future jobs and life!
PM Link
Thanks, Gyllie. Best of luck to yourself!
PM Link
o/ see you around
PM Link
Gyllie :/ o7 man
PM Link
Good luck in your new job

Thanks for what you did for the server, we all love you <3
PM Link
Best of luck Gyllie!
PM Link
Good luck Gyllie!
PM Link
thank you for being the best hosting buddy anyone could ask for :3 really glad to still keep talking to you after all of this is done
PM Link
Thank you for all your hard work over the years and for being the community's favorite dev! You were also always available to help out with tourney stuff and I seriously appreciate that. The fact you never got promoted to senior dev is ridiculous to me. I'm excited to keep working with you over at project pork.

Coolest thing you developed here?

Least favorite thing you had to code?
PM Link
Best of luck Gyllie at the new job! You're definitely a really motivated and talented developer in general. You're definitely a great person to reach out to, you know what will be a blast!

What was the most difficult task you faced/conquered as a developer on Badlion?
PM Link

SoulzHD wrote

Gl in life and on ur new job :P Hope ur still gonna be around.You were by far one of the most dedicated devs and im sure many more people appreciated what you did.

I'll still be around in the community but thanks for the compliment :D
PM Link

Ny_ wrote

Thank you for all your hard work over the years and for being the community's favorite dev! You were also always available to help out with tourney stuff and I seriously appreciate that. The fact you never got promoted to senior dev is ridiculous to me. I'm excited to keep working with you over at project pork.

Coolest thing you developed here?

Least favorite thing you had to code?

Thanks!

Coolest thing I developer is something that actually never got released. This being the advanced system we had developed for running the 1K+ player UHCs since it was such a big challenge to do but we were close to making it finish but then never needed it really.

Least favorite thing to work on was Arena 🤢
PM Link

JackyFTW wrote

Best of luck Gyllie at the new job! You're definitely a really motivated and talented developer in general. You're definitely a great person to reach out to, you know what will be a blast!

What was the most difficult task you faced/conquered as a developer on Badlion?

One of the most difficult tasks I feel like was the whole process of designing the back-end system for UHC since it got quiet advanced with all different types of UHC being hosted, events, rented and there is actually more logic for it behind the back to run it so smoothly then people realize.
PM Link
Good luck and thanks for being part of the server gyllie! I hope you enjoy your new job!
PM Link
A

o/
PM Link
Goodbye my lover.
Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me.
I am a dreamer but when I wake,
You can't break my spirit - it's my dreams you take.
And as you move on, remember me,
Remember us and all we used to be

We should play games sometimes
PM Link
ily
PM Link
o7
PM Link