Store
Players Online: 34.1k Support Forums Client
Subscribe
A more skill based points system for ArenaPvP
Hello fellow Badlion players,

Since season 14 of ArenaPvP began, I have noticed that I would lose significantly more points when I lost a ranked match then in previous seasons. I am a Gold IV in BuildUHC currently, but end up losing 200+ points very often to players who are ranks below mine due to them being very good or lucky. This got me thinking that if a Silver V's skill level is higher then mine, why should I still lose 214 points to them simply because they are Silver V and not Gold IV or above? After thinking about this for a while, I came up with a possible solution to this problem which could be implemented next season to provide a more fair and skill based ranked system.

I believe a new system should be implemented where your and your opponents health at the end of each match would determine the amount of points gained or lost. For example, If a Silver V beat me (Gold IV) by 0.5 hearts, that player would gain the maximum amount of points possible (214) since it was an even fight in terms of skill level. However, if the same player beat me by 10 hearts, they would gain the minimum amount (14) as they are clearly more skilled than me in that particular ladder. This system would allow a more accurate view of a player's skill level, rather than just a rank that may have to correlation to the actual skill of said player. Below is a list of how many points should be gained/lost depending on the health left at the end of the fight. These values may change depending on how the points system will work in season 15 (Points in brackets are rounded):

10 Hearts: 13
9.5 Hearts: 24.1 (24)
9 Hearts: 35.2 (35)
8.5 Hearts: 46.3 (46)
8 Hearts: 57.4 (57)
7.5 Hearts: 68.6 (69)
7 Hearts: 79.7 (80)
6.5 Hearts: 90.8 (91)
6 Hearts: 101.9 (102)
5.5 Hearts: 113
5 Hearts: 113
4.5 Hearts: 124.1 (124)
4 Hearts: 135.2 (135)
3.5 Hearts: 146.3 (146)
3 Hearts: 157.4 (157)
2.5 Hearts: 168.6 (169)
2 Hearts: 179.7 (180)
1.5 Hearts: 190.8 (191)
1 Heart: 201.9 (202)
0.5 Hearts: 213

With a system such as this, playing ranked would be more enjoyable and skill based than it currently is. Right now, you could be a Silver I after your placement matches but be worthy of Masters, meaning everyone you kill from Gold to Diamond rank will lose 213 because you are more skilled than them. This is hardly fair and players in these ranges don't deserve to have that many points removed from players in a lower rank but higher skill level. This system fixes the problem because, for example, if that Silver I player who is worthy of Masters killed me (Gold IV) by 5 hearts, I would only lose 113 instead of the usual 213.

I really hope you take this concept into consideration as I believe it could really help the accuracy of the ranking system to know who is actually worthy of each rank. If you have any constructive criticism to make this system better, please reply below so the developers can see this and take the idea into consideration for season 15. I am aware that we are not supposed to suggest new ideas for the rating system, however I beleive this more of a tweak rather than a full overhaul.

Thanks for reading! :D

~ PoisonShadows
PM Link
Ok in my opinion, no disrespect this is a terrible idea. Let me continue

It makes no sense to penalize players for being far superior. Say tylarzz starts to play on an alt and ranls as a silver 1. He plays an emerald V and beats them with 10 hearts remaining. And would only gain 13 points, with this system how would he ever gain rating? What about healing that could make a difference to the anount if hearts you would have? It is completely stupid to penalise the better player. If they are ranked lower and can beat you they should gain lots because they should be ranked ahead of you.

PM Link

Ryano_ wrote

It makes no sense to penalize players for being far superior. Say tylarzz starts to play on an alt and ranls as a silver 1. He plays an emerald V and beats them with 10 hearts remaining. And would only gain 13 points, with this system how would he ever gain rating? What about healing that could make a difference to the anount if hearts you would have? It is completely stupid to penalise the better player. If they are ranked lower and can beat you they should gain lots because they should be ranked ahead of you.

PM Link
I can understand where you're coming from, however wouldn't that only just make it harder to get to the highest ranks? For players in the silver, gold and emerald ranks this system would work well and allow them to see an accurate rating. For the better players such as Tylrazz, it would only make it much harder to get to the highest ranks such as Masters. True, it would be much more time consuming for these good players but wouldn't that show a great achievement when a player finally hit Masters? I believe it would truly seperate the good players from the gods evenly, just like with the Elo System where you could grind up to 2800 if you had the time and dedication to do so.
PM Link

Ryano_ wrote

I can understand where you're coming from, however wouldn't that only just make it harder to get to the highest ranks? For players in the silver, gold and emerald ranks this system would work well and allow them to see an accurate rating. For the better players such as Tylrazz, it would only make it much harder to get to the highest ranks such as Masters. True, it would be much more time consuming for these good players but wouldn't that show a great achievement when a player finally hit Masters? I believe it would truly seperate the good players from the gods evenly, just like with the Elo System where you could grind up to 2800 if you had the time and dedication to do so.
PM Link

nah
PM Link

Ryano_ wrote

PM Link

PoisonShadows wrote

Ryano_ wrote...

No it would be a pain and honestly downright stupid being able to gain more points from people of sinilar rating than beating someone with a higher rating.
PM Link

PoisonShadows wrote

Ryano_ wrote...

then this wouldn't be a more skill based rating system, it would be a system that rewarded consistency much more.
PM Link

Ryano_ wrote

PoisonShadows wrote...

No it would be a pain and honestly downright stupid being able to gain more points from people of sinilar rating than beating someone with a higher rating.

Well, do you think it might work better if the winner of the match still gained the same amount of points as they would now, depending on each player's rank, but the loser would use this system to determine loss of points? That way players who won games against higher rated people would gain more but the loser would lose less. Not 100% sure how that would work thought because I haven't given that idea much thought yet.
PM Link
PM Link
I expected this thread to be about elo
PM Link

Fwce wrote

PM Link

Alpha527 wrote

Fwce wrote...

The feelings of rejection xD
PM Link
-1 this is basically the opposite of what a rating system should do
PM Link
ranking systems should be dependant on how skilled you are, not on how close your fights were.

This would meant that a good player will reach emerald much quicker than a 'god' player, because the 'god' player usually wins on more hearts, which slows down his ranking. Players shouldn't be punished for being good.
PM Link
PM Link

Alpha527 wrote

Fwce wrote...

PM Link

Ryano_ wrote

you could abuse this system aswell , u could get a guy to 1 heart and get him to purposely get u low then kill him in alot of kits
PM Link
horrible idea
PM Link