Store
Players Online: 49.1k Support Forums Client
Subscribe
Archer kit - Season 15
Hi. I'm your favourite shit archer player who constantly drops when he manages to get high on the leaderboards! Today, I want to talk about this new season's archer kit, and what is good and bad about it. I may not be the best archer player, but I'm sure I know this game and kit enough to have a talk about it and throw there some suggestions to make it better.

- Remember these are just some random's opinions, so you're not forced to agree. I'm open to other suggestions and opinions -

Archer is a purely bow-based kit, and its main purpose is to let you practice your long-range shooting skills. Season 14 archer wasn't really played as intended, because people kept cheesing it by bow-boosting and constantly pearling in to turn it into a sweaty, annoying and stupid close ranged fight, and some people even managed to get really high on the leaderboards playing like this, which isn't that great, imo.

I'm glad things changed in Season 15. This new kit seems really good and literally kills every possible way you could defeat its actual purpose. Some people, though, still manage to find ways to be annoying and not fight, either for fun or just because they really like 15mins long fights (which result in ties most of the times).

Maps
These new maps are really good, I see why the gap in the middle was added and I find it a great way of killing every sort of Iron kit-like shortrange fights. However, some of them need some changes;
- Baloon (Plains biome map): this is just too big, people can freely roam around instead of fighting as much as they want.
- Lava (Cobble/stone map): this is probably the best, it isn't as big and you can actually mid/short range in some specific points if both players are close enough, and you can't really just run and dodge arrows. I would just reduce the gap size a little bit, just to make sure people can't just dodge for 15 mins straight at all;
- voidmeme (Flat white clay map): This one is just weird. Even though its size is prefect, and the gap is not as big, I don't find it enjoyable at all. It is simply weird and sometimes I can't even tell how far my arrows are going. I would change the floor pattern to some different colours strips or something, and just to keep the "natural" theme of the other two, have some different height levels, just like Baloon. It is simply too plain and idk I think builders can come up with some other great ideas.

Another idea: I would love to play on S14 maps as long as bow-boosting gets disabled. One single enderpearl could be a cool addition to end a fight or something else, and you wouldn't really be able to cheese fights as much since you would need to use it wisely. I really liked enderpearls and I would love to see them again, but with these new maps I don't think they would fit in at all.

Damage
I'm pretty sure the damage is no longer based on distance, which I really liked at first, and now I'm starting hating it. Sometimes you can three-shot people, sometimes you won't one shot someone at 3 hearts, which honestly really bothers me. I can't count how many times I was killed when they were lower than me and I had 4 hearts, just because my last full charged shot dealt 2 hearts, and not 3 or 3,5. I know this makes it more "vanilla", but it also adds a lot of luck and randomness too, which isn't always good and sometimes can punish you really badly. If damage was based on distance again, I feel like people would start playing a bit more smartly and everyone would try to go for longrange shots at first, just to gradually get a bit closer and closer to finish their opponent off. This is just better than having two people going mid-close range, then running away, then come close again and so on, you don't really need a specific tactic right now.

Let me know what you think. You can find some more suggestions, ideas and opinions in the replies section, so make sure to check them out before replying!

🅱️enis

PM Link
So I can agree with most of this, however I think a good addition to the s15 archer would be something like if the map were to start falling away from the back to keep matches from lasting up to 15 minutes, or lowering the match time because these matches can take a very long time and it can get very boring and time consuming for someone like me who just wants to play the ladder and not have to take a solid 15 minutes to win, lose or not gain anything at all.
PM Link

hup234hup wrote

So I can agree with most of this, however I think a good addition to the s15 archer would be something like if the map were to start falling away from the back to keep matches from lasting up to 15 minutes, or lowering the match time because these matches can take a very long time and it can get very boring and time consuming for someone like me who just wants to play the ladder and not have to take a solid 15 minutes to win, lose or not gain anything at all.

Smaller maps would fix that for sure
PM Link
I honestly do not like the maps (besides Lava) and I don't like the crack. If they want to make long range more viable just take away ender pearls and self damage but keep the punch. If someone can get close enough without getting punched back, props to them. At least allow a chance at a mid range fight. It would also make it impossible to run out the time for draws.

Another cool addition if you disregard the above paragraph, is to make it so there is a bridge at the crack but to cross the bridge you must take 4 hearts of damage.
PM Link
Oh and fix the damage, dat shit broke
PM Link

hup234hup wrote

If you were to make the ends gradually cave to the centre, it would be cool if the centre gradually built too.
PM Link

PupperSenpai wrote

I honestly do not like the maps (besides Lava) and I don't like the crack. If they want to make long range more viable just take away ender pearls and self damage but keep the punch. If someone can get close enough without getting punched back, props to them. At least allow a chance at a mid range fight. It would also make it impossible to run out the time for draws.

I actually forgot about punch. This might work too, yeah.

PupperSenpai wrote

Another cool addition if you disregard the above paragraph, is to make it so there is a bridge at the crack but to cross the bridge you must take 4 hearts of damage.

Meh. Not a fan of this idea. Perhaps you could parkour to the other side by jumping on some floating blocks? Yet, I don't feel like you should be able to cross the middle if they're keeping the crack in between. There's a reason if it was added.
PM Link
i think they should just get rid of the bow completely
PM Link
You may don't like the season 14 kit because there is enderpearls and bowboost but it just makes Archer more interesting cuz you can play in a lot of different ways. You think that bowboost is "annoying and sweaty" and i agreed during a long time but in fact, some players aren't good at longrang and need to bowboost in order to win, and you have to deal with it. Bowboost makes damage and pearls can be predict easily, it is not simple to "shortrange" in Archer. I really think that Archer have to be ample in term of possibilities and that's why i like the s14 kit, you can play like you want and if someone has a playstyle you don't like, you just have to improve against it.
The S15 kit is just boring… It's just too annoying to fight someone bad for 8min or maybe more just because you can't move as you want.
I'm not even talking about the random damage, i got killed by someone with 4 hearts even if he didn't shoot me more than I did.
Finally, all my friends who played this kit did a Tie Game, i mean it's way too easy too just run for years and don't loose.
So yeah, for me s14 kit is the best kit actually because he's correctly balanced and kinda chill.
S15 kit is bad because i don't have time to waste against someone i can kill in 30 seconds in a real kit
PM Link

LongrangeRandom wrote

You may don't like the season 14 kit because there is enderpearls and bowboost but it just makes Archer more interesting cuz you can play in a lot of different ways. You think that bowboost is "annoying and sweaty" and i agreed during a long time but in fact, some players aren't good at longrang and need to bowboost in order to win, and you have to deal with it. Bowboost makes damage and pearls can be predict easily, it is not simple to "shortrange" in Archer. I really think that Archer have to be ample in term of possibilities and that's why i like the s14 kit, you can play like you want and if someone has a playstyle you don't like, you just have to improve against it.
The S15 kit is just boring… It's just too annoying to fight someone bad for 8min or maybe more just because you can't move as you want.
I'm not even talking about the random damage, i got killed by someone with 4 hearts even if he didn't shoot me more than I did.
Finally, all my friends who played this kit did a Tie Game, i mean it's way too easy too just run for years and don't loose.
So yeah, for me s14 kit is the best kit actually because he's correctly balanced and kinda chill.
S15 kit is bad because i don't have time to waste against someone i can kill in 30 seconds in a real kit

Yeah dude I know it's quite boring righr now, that's why I suggested some changes xd did you even read the full thing?

Also yeah, s14 archer allowed people to have a lot of different playstyles, but some of those LITERALLY killed its purpose (longrange), and honestly if you want to sweat shortrange you can just play iron or UHC instead of ruining this kit. And no, countering that shit was not easy except for enderpearls. Bowboosting boosts you too randomly sometimes, it's not always consistent, and some people literally abused it by constantly doing it every other shot. Shortrange is just a big nono for archer, but if both players want to do it then here comes my suggestion: have a smaller crack in the middle and a bit more room for players to execute their spastic-kangaroo jumping strafes without getting stuck in some blocks. OR, we could have something like S14 maps with one pearl, no bowboost and no crack in the middle, adding Punch I or II back. This way people may somehow get in short range, and punch wouldn't make it last forever since you would be able to push them away.
PM Link
Also, in addition to ^this, if you aren't good at longrange then practice it, instead of cheesing the kit by bowboosting and enderpearling every single fucking time.
PM Link

toblerone456 wrote

i think they should just get rid of the bow completely

🅱enis
PM Link
I read the all things but for me it won't change anything because it will stay a longrange kit. You said that purpose of Archer is "Longrange" and I still don't agree, that's not if all the players were using bowboost and pearls in S14. I'd say that 70% of my matches in s14 (almost 3k matchs) were in longrange so those "shortrange" players aren't a big part of this kit. Also, bowboost isn't that hard to counter once you get used to it, and i just only fought one time someone who was abusing at and I killed him with 3 shots at midrange. I mean, the damage from the bowboost are reals. The Punch II make some space between you and the opponent when someone get hit so you still can longrange against someone who is bowboosting, you just have to hit him once. You can pearlback and bowboost aswell in order to escape of your opponent's tactic.
In the beta, I have to focus and sweat against people i could destroy without any problems in S14 even if I am a longrange player and the opponent aswell. I mean, the fights are unbecessary long because you can make a pressure, you just can't play like you want to.
PM Link

LongrangeRandom wrote

I read the all things but for me it won't change anything because it will stay a longrange kit.You said that purpose of Archer is "Longrange" and I still don't agree

Wat. Archer is meant to be a longrange kit.. also those changes would most likely make mid/short a bit more doable, and fights wouldn't last forever at all.

LongrangeRandom wrote

, that's not if all the players were using bowboost and pearls in S14. I'd say that 70% of my matches in s14 (almost 3k matchs) were in longrange so those "shortrange" players aren't a big part of this kit

Of course there weren't just shortrange sweats back then, but there were still quite a lot of them and tbh they ruined the kit and they even got somewhat high on the leaderboards. Some of them even got masters lol. Idc if it's just a small percentage, they're still people who played it and literally killed its purpose. And btw, this still doesn't mean people should be supposed to try so hard to shortrange and kill the whole kit's purpose, and it also doesn't mean we should keep in those mechanics which make it possible. I'm pretty sure I played this kit quite a lot in s14 and I remember a lot of people bowboosting and shit like that. There is a reason why the admins changed the way archer works, people were ruining it and many noticed it.

LongrangeRandom wrote

Also, bowboost isn't that hard to counter once you get used to it, and i just only fought one time someone who was abusing at and I killed him with 3 shots at midrange.

It indeed isn't that hard to counter but I don't see why you would need to try to force shortrange sweaty fights in a longrange kit. I don't want to sweat my ass off, just like I would do in Iron, just to get away from a bowbooster. If I'm playing archer, I want to practice my longrange shooting skills and I want to have chill fights. I don't want another version of Iron or UHC.

LongrangeRandom wrote

I mean, the damage from the bowboost are reals.

It doesn't really matter, you only take less than 0.5 when you bow boost and while doing so you deal way more damage to your opponent if you hit them. The risk you're taking by bowboosting is really well paid off by the damage you can deal, since it also works as a surprise attack and you're not always ready to counter it in time.

LongrangeRandom wrote

The Punch II make some space between you and the opponent when someone get hit so you still can longrange against someone who is bowboosting, you just have to hit him once. You can pearlback and bowboost aswell in order to escape of your opponent's tactic.

Again, this isn't true at all unless you hit them 100% of the times. I used to "bowspam" to push them back but they sill managed to bowboost back and force shortrange. Also, endedpearling is useless because they will either camp shot you or they will bowboost towards you before the pearl lands. And again, I don't want to sweat my ass off in a longrange kit just to get away from people who want to ruin it to get cheap wins.

LongrangeRandom wrote

In the beta, I have to focus and sweat against people i could destroy without any problems in S14 even if I am a longrange player and the opponent aswell. I mean, the fights are unbecessary long because you can make a pressure, you just can't play like you want to.

I'm sure my suggestions would help and fix this issue. I hate too long fights as well, and I think there are better solutions than switching back to S14 arched kit and maps.
PM Link
Well, i just can't agree with your point of view of Archer. I don't see this kit as a "longrange fights practice" and I don't see bowbooster as people who ruin the purpose of the kit. I just hope that S14 kit will be back.
PM Link

LongrangeRandom wrote

Well, i just can't agree with your point of view of Archer. I don't see this kit as a "longrange fights practice" and I don't see bowbooster as people who ruin the purpose of the kit. I just hope that S14 kit will be back.

?_? Okay
PM Link
I wouldn't hate it as much if the damage wasn't broken. I play against some 1500 and hit them and they go to 8.5, I get hit and I'm 6.5. It just seems incredibly random and allows bad players to beat higher rated players due to the seemingly random damage.

I feel like the S14 archer was perfect if you just remove punch 2 and reduce pearls.
PM Link

Msging wrote

I wouldn't hate it as much if the damage wasn't broken. I play against some 1500 and hit them and they go to 8.5, I get hit and I'm 6.5. It just seems incredibly random and allows bad players to beat higher rated players due to the seemingly random damage.

Ikr. They should add damage based on distance again.

Msging wrote

I feel like the S14 archer was perfect if you just remove punch 2 and reduce pearls.

Or we could have punch I, reduce pearls to 1 and disable self damage. Otherwise it'd be too similiar to Iron, just with worse armour.
^This necessarily means we would need S14 maps
PM Link
S15 archer can suck my dick
PM Link

Nicosby wrote

Msging wrote...

Ikr. They should add damage based on distance again.

Msging wrote...

Or we could have punch I, reduce pearls to 1 and disable self damage. Otherwise it'd be too similiar to Iron, just with worse armour.
^This necessarily means we would need S14 maps

That's exactly it. That would be the perfect archer kit
PM Link