Store
New Community Managers
@Recoovery estoy muy orgulloso de ti !
PM Link
Alright, let's dive into this. Quick tl;dr for the road: I'm dissapointed.

1. Overpacking the role with naive staff members will not fix the CM team's problems. Tons of heads = Less team bonding, less trust, more confusing/tricky to keep up with in terms of discussions etc etc. Thought this was common knowledge when the same thing happened to the main staff team between 2015 and 2016.

2. Glad AU finally has decent representation, hope time zones are being worked around better nowadays.

3. Glad to see Unwise back with a few good picks to boot (Jioska/Recoovery/Steally and the return of Unwise, the rest of the new additions I don't care about if I'm being honest).

4. Player Council is nice but I highly doubt it'll go anywhere with making CMs any more important than they currently are (which as it stands now is at customer support/generic feedback level, just like it was when I left in May).

Really the main thing I'm sad about is that the role was bloated for no reason and that I don't know if adding a Player Council will even fix any of the issues at all. CMs are still not going to have any power whatsoever because part of their job (being the face of the staff team, transmitting new information, organizing events) is still being done by the admins and on top of that they have next to no recognition in the BL community. If CMs start becoming actual CMs and on top of that the herd starts to thin (which it probably will given that I doubt 50-75% of those new CMs will last through the year) then things would be looking up. Otherwise I don't see any signifigant change coming out of this.

Source for seemingly bullshit claims: Community Moderator between Nov. 2016 and May 2017, retired partly for the reasons in the above paragraph.

@Unwise Good luck, buddy. I trust you.

Edit: Incase any CMs see this I'd be happy to discuss my reasoning, you'll find me in #general.
PM Link

Utsuho wrote

1. Overpacking the role with naive staff members will not fix the CM team's problems. Tons of heads = Less team bonding, less trust, more confusing/tricky to keep up with in terms of discussions etc etc. Thought this was common knowledge when the same thing happened to the main staff team between 2015 and 2016.

2. Glad AU finally has decent representation, hope time zones are being worked around better nowadays.

3. Glad to see Unwise back with a few good picks to boot (Jioska/Recoovery/Steally and the return of Unwise, the rest of the new additions I don't care about if I'm being honest).

4. Player Council is nice but I highly doubt it'll go anywhere with making CMs any more important than they currently are (which as it stands now is at customer support/generic feedback level, just like it was when I left in May).

Really the main thing I'm sad about is that the role was bloated for no reason and that I don't know if adding a Player Council will even fix any of the issues at all. CMs are still not going to have any power whatsoever because part of their job (being the face of the staff team, transmitting new information, organizing events) is still being done by the admins and on top of that they have next to no recognition in the BL community. If CMs start becoming actual CMs and on top of that the herd starts to thin (which it probably will given that I doubt 50-75% of those new CMs will last through the year) then things would be looking up. Otherwise I don't see any signifigant change coming out of this.

Source for seemingly bullshit claims: Community Moderator between Nov. 2016 and May 2017, retired partly for the reasons in the above paragraph.

@Unwise Good luck, buddy. I trust you.

Sadly this is quite true but I want to be optimistic about this and see if they will change :)
PM Link
Thank you for the opinion, I had quite the amount of people saying I would get it actually. II do plan on implementing some ideas also.
PM Link

Anonymous Quote

Overpacking the role with naive staff members will not fix the CM team's problems. Tons of heads = Less team bonding, less trust, more confusing/tricky to keep up with in terms of discussions etc etc. Thought this was common knowledge when the same thing happened to the main staff team between 2015 and 2016.

We brought 4 new people on who weren't staff and are more in touch with the community side of things. We were concerned about having so many CM's however, we're reaching so many different languages now and the conversations are great. Points are being brought up, that otherwise wouldn't have.

Anonymous Quote

Glad AU finally has decent representation, hope time zones are being worked around better nowadays.

Time zones have gotten better, plus the AU CM's are incredibly active and engaging in the conversation(s).

Anonymous Quote

Not sure how to reply to this? All of the new CM's were picked for certain reasons and they're doing great.

Anonymous Quote

Player Council is nice but I highly doubt it'll go anywhere with making CMs any more important than they currently are (which as it stands now is at customer support/generic feedback level, just like it was when I left in May).

I disagree with this. The CM's were holding off on starting any big projects until we had help, and now that there's more CM's, we're working on some awesome projects! The Player Council is meant to increase the amount and quality of CM & player discussions, which is why this was created.

Anonymous Quote

Really the main thing I'm sad about is that the role was bloated for no reason and that I don't know if adding a Player Council will even fix any of the issues at all. CMs are still not going to have any power whatsoever because part of their job (being the face of the staff team, transmitting new information, organizing events) is still being done by the admins and on top of that they have next to no recognition in the BL community. If CMs start becoming actual CMs and on top of that the herd starts to thin (which it probably will given that I doubt 50-75% of those new CMs will last through the year) then things would be looking up. Otherwise I don't see any significant change coming out of this.

I actually kinda touched base on this above. The first time around the CM's were a new rank and everything was still new. At this point we're not only working on some awesome projects, but we're also working to improve the quality of the feedback, discussions, etc. we're here to obtain.

Source for replies: Current Community Manager, I joined the same time @Utsuho did but I stayed on the team. I'm actively working with the current CM's and the Admins, and things are going great!
PM Link

Mr_Bloxley wrote

@Recoovery estoy muy orgulloso de ti !

ty :')
PM Link

Utsuho wrote

1. Overpacking the role with naive staff members will not fix the CM team's problems.
Why are these staff members "naive"? Go figure, not everyone is the most experienced person when it comes to doing the tasks required, but that doesn't mean that they aren't incabable or unwilling to learn.

Tons of heads = Less team bonding, less trust, more confusing/tricky to keep up with in terms of discussions etc etc.
Agreed. However, the point of being a staff member at all isn't to have a group bonding session. It is to make a difference in one way or another. This shouldn't even be relevant if you as an individual care and want this community to go far. As for the discussion part, I agree with you. However, more point of views and opinions are only a good thing that can more accurately argue topics more without having everyone unanimously agree on a topic.

Thought this was common knowledge when the same thing happened to the main staff team between 2015 and 2016.
Yes, but that doesn't mean the staff team isn't any less functionally wise.

Agreed

Agreed. I'm in no place to tell you what you should/shouldn't care about, so I'll keep quiet.

As lizzy said, there are things going on behind the scenes you have no idea about. I understand what you mean, but noe there is change.

Really the main thing I'm sad about is that the role was bloated for no reason and that I don't know if adding a Player Council will even fix any of the issues at all.
All the player council does is give the active community a direct voice. All this will do is allow for more direct feedback to higher ups from players who play the game a lot, and are connected in the community. The council isn't meant to give CM's more power, but to give active players a voice they deserve.

CMs are still not going to have any power whatsoever because part of their job (being the face of the staff team, transmitting new information, organizing events) is still being done by the admins and on top of that they have next to no recognition in the BL community.
Fair point. As I said earlier, there are things you don't know, so it's understandable you think this way.

If CMs start becoming actual CMs and on top of that the herd starts to thin (which it probably will given that I doubt 50-75% of those new CMs will last through the year) then things would be looking up. Otherwise I don't see any signifigant change coming out of this.
I doubt the team is that uncommited, but who knows. Regardless, I think we're more than capable, and have some outgoing leaders who like to start things themselves, and get the ball roling themselves.
PM Link