Store Up to 20% Off!
Players Online: 66.1k Support Forums Client
Subscribe
Badlion Client AMA - June 6th 3 PM GMT

EDIT: It has been 2 hours and the AMA is closed now. Thanks for your questions! We will do another one towards the holiday season this year after Badlion Client 3.0 is available!

Hey everyone. It's been a long time since we have done an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Badlion Client, and we want to be open with the community about our plans and upcoming features. This is a chance for you guys to (1) ask us about BLC related questions (2) learn more about the people working on BLC (3) random questions that you might have.

This thread will become unlocked at 3 PM GMT on Saturday June 6th and you will be able to ask your questions below. I will be primarily answering most of the questions, but if people have questions for other admins or devs here I'd be happy to pull them in to answer some questions too :)

As usual, there are a few questions we will not be answering stuff:

1) Code related questions (how X works etc)
2) Legal questions (We aren't lawyers, and you most likely are not either)
3) Financial questions
4) Security questions

Also I'm going to pre-answer a couple of questions right here before I see it asked 100 times in this thread:

Will you bring back Badlion Network?

No, we do not have plans to bring Badlion Network back. We are super happy to see Minecraft growing again at the moment, but we do not see a large enough hole in the community for our competitive Minecraft server to exist. We closed Badlion Network almost two years ago because the competitive community had shrunk too much. We've seen some awesome events recently like Minecraft Saturdays, Skyblock on Hypixel, etc, but there is just not a place in Minecraft for Badlion Network to succeed anymore. We are happy to see there are other servers keeping the fire alive though and hosting ArenaPvP, UHC, SG, etc.

We are actively looking for servers that are interested in partnering with us for BAC protection and offering competitive environments for the Minecraft community. If you know of any larger servers that are interested in installing BAC on their servers, have them reach out to us at bac [at] badlion [dot] net.

When is Badlion Client 3.0 coming out?

Our team is super hard at work on both Badlion Client 2.15 (and future releases), along with Badlion Client 3.0. We've grown so much recently thanks to all of you, we have had some unforeseen problems that we have been working towards solving in order to scale our offering to all of the newly joining players in the Badlion Client ecosystem.

The short answer is we don't have a definitive date, but are still promising to release the Badlion Client 3.0 version before the end of 2020. The Badlion Client 3.0's main feature is a completely reworked interface which we have been working on slowly for the last few months. We will also be adding some new features into Badlion Client 3.0, polishing up the FPS, fixing bugs, and more.

Keep an eye out soon for some previews of Badlion Client 3.0 in the coming months, as we are now in the phase of building and focusing less on planning at this point.

Will Badlion Client come to Linux?

I am excited to announce that we are working on bringing the Badlion Client 3.0 version to Linux. Currently we have had a few successful trials, but there is still a lot of work to go to smooth it out. Below I have a list of our remaining technical challenges we must solve:

1) We need to research further into a nice auto-updating system that is available on all Linux distributions, currently we are leaning towards Snapcraft - https://snapcraft.io/
2) We need to integrate any extra dependency checks and systems into place for Linux
3) We need to implement any missing functionality for Linux on the launcher (most of it is done at this point though)
4) We need to test the hell out of everything a LOT to verify it all works smoothly

Thankfully, this process is going along much quicker than the conversion from Windows to macOS did. We were able to reuse a lot of the macOS code, and have made amazing progress on the Linux conversion. I managed to convert and compile/test most of our setup in a weekend. This took me months the first time around to convert and set everything up. The plan is to release the Linux support with Badlion Client 3.0 (which as a reminder will first be accessible to Insider rank holders only).

As a friendly rmeinder, there will NOT be BAC support. The BAC software is written by our anticheat team from Germany, and they have been writing Windows specific anticheat code for 15 years. They have no experience working on other operating systems at a driver level, and we do not expect them to start anytime soon. In fact, most popular AAA games on Mac/Linux don't even have anticheat.

We can't wait to share the upcoming awesome features of Badlion Client with the linux community such as: FPS Boost, Mod Profiles, Chat/Friends System, all of our mods, customized menus, cosmetics, etc. I will probably make small updates on my personal twitter (https://twitter.com/mastergberry) for the time being until we are closer to a real beta opportunity.

Thanks for your understanding and patience with this.

Will you be doing something for Hytale?

Yes, we have several projects in progress for Hytale at the moment. I can't get into them at the moment, but we are super excited for future opportunities to work with the Hypixel Studios team more closely on some ideas for Hytale. I occasionally mention something Hytale on my twitter account, so follow me there to keep up to date with any Hytale related projects: https://twitter.com/mastergberry

Any Hytale projects we pursue will not be called Badlion though, we will have a new brand name(s) for when Hytale comes around. Badlion's name and legacy will remain in Minecraft with Badlion Network (closed) and Badlion Client (active and growing).
PM Link
Besides Minecraft, what other games do you guys like to play?

btw as a new Minecraft user, Badlion Client makes my gameplay much more smoother so keep up the good work!
I usually play on my Nintendo Switch a lot these days, Mario, Zelda, etc. Occasionally I will play a singleplayer game on the computer or a Coop styled game.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Badlion Client :) Always makes me happy to see so many users enjoying the hard work we do here.
PM Link
PM Link
-*-
PM Link
Hi
1st of all,
How do you feel about BLC's recent success in the past year (~73k concurrent players + 4.4+ million downloads) ?

2nd of all
Seeing as you're a Staw Wars fan, how did you feel about the sequel trilogy ? And are you excited for the Kenobi series coming this year ?

3rd of all

Do you like apples and if so, do you also like apple pies ?
1. It's absolutely mind blowing. It goes to show the hard work and dedication for the client are paying off. We are growing still at a really fast rate, maybe 80K players isn't so far off.

2. I thought the sequel trilogy wasn't bad. It just really sucks that they shifted directors and #8 was kind of a bust…had a lot more potential. The Rise of Skywalker just had to do too much damage control. I'm super stoked for the Kenobi Series.

3. Apples are ok, but Iris makes an awesome apple pie :) Will post a picture on Twitter next time she makes it.
PM Link
1. The 6 week update cycles have been bringing so many new features and the new Cosmetic team is doing great work !

Will be looking forward to that pie :D
PM Link
PM Link
You guys have a Lightning Cape and a Lightning Shield, the real question is, when will we be getting a lightning headband?
@Doblox912 Get this man a damn lightning bandana stat!
PM Link
PM Link
Will you ever add a goose related cloak?
HONK!
PM Link
Is this a yes? honk!
PM Link
PM Link
The MB4 is still broken. for example when I hold shift and press MB5 it goes to MB4. Another example is when i try to use it as toggle perspective (f5). When i press it i will have to press any key after pressing it and it will add to how many times i press the MB4 to toggle perspective to how many times i need to press any key for it to work. ****In Other words after pressing MB4 I have to trigger it by pressing abother key on the keybaord***** tysm devs
Hey. Will dig into this…it's pretty crazy that MB4 bug. It's a core LWJGL bug that is fixed in later Minecraft versions and the fix…is hacky to call it the least that we had to do.

@ginie1 please make a ticket.
PM Link
PM Link
i love apples and i adore apple pie
PM Link
Hello, Badlion Team! I can tell that BLC is the best client I've ever used. However, the Badlion website seemed to break down in China a few months ago. (When trying to visit badlion.net, it says "Error 1020: Access denied" and "This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks".) As a result, most Chinese players, including me, are no longer able to download/use this awesome client. Could you solve this issue please? Thanks!

PS: This is not caused by the firewall of China.
Hey. This is most likely from our anti-ddos protection. If you could provide me with a RAY ID (shown on this 1020 page) I can look into it further.
PM Link
Okay thanks
PM Link
PM Link
What was your inspiration to create Badlion Client?
The original inspiration was a counterpart to the 128 TPS premium esport product we were working towards in 2016. Due to a lot of problems though, we decided to shift our focus towards creating a better universal Minecraft experience. We've been doing this for a few years now and focus on a lot of important areas such as legacy bug fixes, easy swapping between versions, pre-installing mods for you, etc. I must say, I'm extremely proud of where we are and we have many ideas and plans for the coming years now thanks to the community's support.
PM Link
In the future we will see badlion client no premium?
PM Link
We have no plans to bring back Badlion Premium.
PM Link
PM Link
Hello! If I try to use discord overlay I have to change it each day because of the new badlion name from updates. It's kinda annoying because I use discord a lot. Can u maybe make it so I don't have to change it each update? For example, make a discord mod or something that automatically turns on discord overlay or something. Thanks!

Btw: I love badlion client A LOT!
Hey. If there was a super easy way to do this, we would definitely do it in a heartbeat! We have the title version to help us identify which version a user is playing for bug reports (unfortunately a lot of screenshots never contain this information).

We might be able to come up with another way to display this without breaking Discord compatibility (or they could just provide us the API's…).

I will dig into this and see what we can come up with.
PM Link
PM Link
Will Hystats (by Kad7) or another similar Hypixel stats mod be added to Badlion client? It would be very useful and bring in more players who are sticking to forge just for that mod!

Hey, this mod is on our roadmap, but I can't promise where exactly. We want to do something more expandable if possible to allow other servers to take advantage of this type of mod too.
PM Link
PM Link
I agree. It should be added :)
PM Link

MasterGberry wrote

HONK!

Is this a yes? HONK!!!!!
PM Link
Since you have such a beautiful voice, when will you host a karaoke event so we can all hear you sing? C:
Haha, my karaoke days are behind me man. I did that quite a few times in the earlier years of Badlion.
PM Link
PM Link
Will the linux version be on the AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/) will be very nice for us Arch users :D
As I mentioned above in the FAQ section, we will be using snapcraft.io which is compatible with Arch Linux ;)
PM Link
Yeah but a lot of people including me who use Arch, would rather use AUR instead of installing pointless software. Either way, hope this is taken into consideration :D
PM Link
Just checked for fun, AUR is not even supported.
PM Link
PM Link
Will someday the badlion client have a radio mod something that cheatbreaker have ?
We have been having an ongoing conversation with Spotify for quite some time now…but unfortunately have hit a wall with them. We are going to probably look into integrating some form of "radio/music" mod again very soon. It was very upsetting when we were told to remove our awesome integration.
PM Link
PM Link
Gonna help this AMA get rolling

Are you able to talk about the other projects you're working on or is it still NDA right now?

Aside from BLC 3.0 what required the most work?

PC specs?

Thoughts on other clients in the community? Personally the only thing Lounge and Lunar got right now are the capes but other than that BLC has it all

Do you miss the old Badlion community?

Also this is a question for a majority of the Admin team: How have you guys been? I'm glad to
a lot of the "older" red names are there. Especially Smelly.

Does Badlion ever plan on making their own game or would you do that separate from Badlion?

You mind including the recipes whenever you tweet about food?

Lastly, it wouldnt truly be an AMA on the Badlion forums without asking this age old question!

Opinion? (if you have one of course)
1. All NDA, sorry :(
2. Currently we are investing a lot of time and money into a bunch of things such as (i) infrastructure upgrades due to all of the new players/traffic (ii) anticheat advances to make BAC even faster and more effective (iii) store upgrades to handle new products with ease instead of the painful systems we have in place at the moment
3. 3960x Intel processor, 2x 980 GTX Superclocked, 28GB of ram (one is 1/2 defective lol), SSD, etc.
4. I think that it would be nicer to see more original ideas coming out of these clients instead of rehashed versions of Badlion Client with way less features. I prefer what Sk1er does when it comes to creating original ideas. He's a really smart guy and I wish he had accepted the original job offer I gave him 2 years ago :(
5. I miss the really old days of Badlion (before it was big, 2013 days)…but honestly when we started getting to 6-10K peaks, it was getting really stressful.
6. SmellyPenguin actually has moved onto a different job recently and just helps us a bit here and there when we need it. @ginie1 is the only other OG admin still around.
7. This was a plan at one point in time, but not anymore due to the sale to ESL.
8. I do sometimes :p, but some of them also are just hand-done and the recipes would be way too long.
9. Nothing else to add here ^.^
PM Link
PM Link
Can u fix mouse support on macos? It always goes to the bottom left of my actual mouse!!!
Can you explain a little bit further?
PM Link
https://www.badlion.net/forum/thread/254343/post/1312877#1312877
PM Link
You mean on 1.14 and 1.15 right? We are looking into this and trying to find a fix to the problem.
PM Link
PM Link
For the levelhead mod, on hypixel it doesnt always work and when it does it takes half the game to do so. Is there any plans to fix this because it did work very fast before, or is this a hypixel problem.
I believe this has become a problem over time due to the sheer number of users using the mod at this point.

We can definitely take some time to investigate and see how we can speed up the performance. I'm sure we can do it with some more resources.
PM Link
PM Link
Thread is locked