Store 20% Off!
Badlion AMA - July 14th 3 PM GMT

EDIT: This is now over. Thanks everyone for the questions yesterday. Keep an eye out for the next one, probably around the holiday season. Had a good time answering questions and gathering feedback.

Hey everyone. It's been a long time since we have done an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Badlion, and we want to be open with the community about our plans and upcoming features. This is a chance for you guys to (1) ask us about BLC related questions (2) learn more about the people working on BLC (3) random questions that you might have.

This thread will become unlocked at 3 PM GMT on Sunday July 14th and you will be able to ask your questions below. I will be primarily answering most of the questions, but if people have questions for other admins or devs here I'd be happy to pull them in to answer some questions too :)

As usual, there are a few questions we will not be answering stuff:

1) Code related questions (how X works etc)
2) Legal questions (We aren't lawyers, and you most likely are not either)
3) Financial questions
4) Security questions

Also I'm going to pre-answer a couple of questions right here before I see it asked 100 times in this thread:

Will you bring back Badlion Network?

No, we do not have plans to bring Badlion Network back. We are super happy to see Minecraft growing again at the moment, but we do not see a large enough hole in the community for our competitive Minecraft server to exist. We closed down over a year ago because the competitive community had shrunk too much. We've seen some awesome events recently like Minecraft Monday, Skyblock on Hypixel, etc, but there is just not a place in Minecraft for Badlion Network to succeed anymore. We are happy to see there are other servers keeping the fire alive though and hosting ArenaPvP, UHC, SG, etc. We might look into sponsoring a few events in the near future, but there is not a place for a fully dedicated competitive network in the community anymore at the same level that we used to have.

Will Badlion Client come to other operating systems such as Mac/Linux?

I will announce here in this AMA that we have begun investigating the possibility of bringing Badlion Client to other operating systems. Please note we do not know (1) if it ever truly will and (2) when this would happen by. There are a lot of technical challenges we must overcome, and I will mention them in order:

1) We must convert our codebase to handle unicode (non-standard english characters) properly to support all possible languages. We did this for Windows…but in a very Windows specific way, we need to do it in a better way to support Mac/Linux.
2) We need to remove/re-code some 3rd party libraries that are Windows specific again in order to allow for Mac/Linux support as well.
3) We need to abstract/rewrite all of the OS specific code that is different on each operating system, such as the process management systems
4) Rewrite all of the Minecraft dependency downloading/installation code to not be Windows specific
5) We need to use a new auto-updating software for the launcher in order to update Mac/Linux builds appropriately.
6) We need to fix any Minecraft modifications that are specific to Windows that we have done in the Badlion Client
7) We need to test the hell out of everything a LOT to verify it all works.

This process will take months to complete and is something that I am currently doing currently on my free time during the weekends (Badlion Client is not my only work project at the moment) because I am too busy during the week to even attempt it. As of this post, I have just finished #1 (took me 4 weekends to complete, and I have to test still) and will be testing that over the next couple of weeks. We will slowly roll out updates to the Windows community in the coming months with these phases slowly being completed to verify nothing breaks with the existing Badlion Client build. Once we make it through all of these steps, then it will be possible for us to release a beta version for Mac/Linux.

I have no promises when or if this will be completed, but please do note we are thinking of the other operating systems and will see what we can do. Also to add a note here, if/when BLC comes to these other operating systems, BAC support will NOT be coming along too. The BAC software is written by our anticheat team from Germany, and they have been writing Windows specific anticheat code for 15 years. They have no experience working on other operating systems at a driver level, and we do not expect them to start anytime soon. In fact, most popular AAA games on Mac/Linux don't even have anticheat.

In conclusion, support for Mac/Linux is being explored and there is no official ETA for when this will be completed (or if it will be completed). We still plan on trying to offer all of our other awesome features on Mac/Linux with Badlion Client including: FPS Boost, Mod Profiles, Chat/Friends System, all of our mods, customized menus, cosmetics, etc. I will probably make small updates on my personal twitter (https://twitter.com/mastergberry) for the time being until we are closer to a real beta opportunity.

Thanks for your understanding and patience with this.

Will you be doing something for Hytale?

Yes, we have several projects in progress for Hytale at the moment. I can't get into them at the moment, but we are super excited for future opportunities to work with the Hypixel Studios team more closely on some ideas for Hytale. I occasionally mention something Hytale on my twitter account, so follow me there to keep up to date with any Hytale related projects: https://twitter.com/mastergberry

Any Hytale projects we pursue will not be called Badlion though, we will have a new brand name(s) for when Hytale comes around. Badlion's name and legacy will remain in Minecraft with Badlion Network (closed) and Badlion Client (active and growing).
PM Link
When will the replay mod be ready?
The replay mod is currently being worked on and is planned for Badlion Client 2.9 which has a scheduled release date of sometime in August.
PM Link
PM Link
Forgive me if this is a little personal, and feel free not to answer.

Considering you worked 3+ years together with him, how do you feel about the recent news concerning Archybot? Were you always somewhat aware/had suspicions or were you completely blindsided?
I really don't want to get into Archy's personal life or any of the stuff that was brought up about him in the last few months. I think the community took something that was his private business and made a big deal out of it when they should never have known about it.
PM Link
PM Link
Why isn’t Health indicator being added to 1.12.2 because I haven’t heard of a single 1.9+ server that bans people for using health indicator
Most of our users are currently 1.8. We have stated a few times though we might add a Health/Damage Indicators mod for people to use if a server allows it. The server will need to use our Mod API to activate the mod for it's users, since by default it would be disabled.

More info would come on this when we actually release the mod.
PM Link
PM Link
fr33 c4p3 p1z
I applaud your creativity, but your name is disappointing :(
PM Link
feelsbadman
PM Link
PM Link
Will future wings come out, like angel wings. They would look cool.
We have several wings being worked on at the moment. They are really complicated to make, but we have put some time aside to try and make it possible.
PM Link
PM Link
Could you add extra FPS boosts because i can be getting like 200 fps in vanilla but like 80 fps using badlion
I would suggest disabling some of the heavy FPS mods such as Minimap. If you run Badlion Client without any mods enabled you will see a performance boost over vanilla.
PM Link
PM Link
Is it still possible to apply for staff?
Yes, we are always looking for staff to join our team! You can apply here: https://www.badlion.net/wiki/staff-applications
PM Link
PM Link
when can u add the bw / sw stats mod its kinda popular nowadays and we badlion users we need it

and wot made u think when u started to make this client
We are looking into adding some kind of stats mod, although we would prefer that servers help us to implement this feature instead of us having to implement it for each server individually. We will see how that goes…haha.

We started the Badlion Client about 3 years ago when we were trying to develop an esports product/environment for Minecraft. We joined ESL with the intention of making Minecraft an esport. Unfortunately Microsoft stopped us from doing this. Since the esports vision had been killed by Microsoft we decided to shift our focus towards a more casual all around Minecraft client to create a better experience overall.
PM Link
PM Link
Do you think Hytale will surpass minecraft?
I think it will take a long time for Hytale to get near Minecraft's numbers. I think with a long period of time (talking about 5+ years) it might be possible. Minecraft also is available for a huge variety of platforms (PC, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, PS4, iPhone, Android, etc). Hytale is currently (to my knowledge) only being developed for the PC…so they will need several years to catch up if they have success with the PC version.
PM Link
PM Link
Why does Badlion Client prevent to execute Cheat Engine when Badlion Client is not even running. Does this mean Badlion Client works in the background even without us knowing?
Badlion Client has a driver running on the machine 24/7, which does very minimal things. One of these things it does is prevent Cheat Engine from running not because of people trying to cheat with it, but because cheat engine is actually a reverse engineering tool. It's not named that well. We disable Cheat Engine from running on any system with the Badlion Client driver running to prevent reverse engineering of it.
PM Link
PM Link
What is a good question?
A good question is whatever you want it to be :)
PM Link
What kind of music are you into? I make music (mostly remixes) and I like rap/hip hop you know what im sayin'
PM Link
I honestly just listen to whatever is on the charts…so I guess mainly pop/rock.
PM Link
PM Link
How does the BetterFrames work because it is amazing how much it boosts my FPS
Also will there be Replay Mod in future?
BetterFrames works by targetting areas that the default Minecraft client (or Optifine client) does not perform well with and tries to improve performance of these areas. Minecraft primarily runs on the computer using the CPU, and we try to take advantage of both the CPU and GPU if possible.

The Replay Mod is coming in Badlion Client 2.9 which is scheduled for next month :)
PM Link
PM Link
Any upcoming updates for the Armor Status mod? I think this is one of the things because a lot of people don't use badlion client (looks old and not really great for the view).
Keep this version of the armorstatus but add a normal one same as the forge version).
Improve the stetic of the menus of the entire client.
Keep the good work!
Thanks for reading
We are planning on revamping the Armor Status mod along with some of the other original mods. I would love to get some feedback as to how we can make it better (with screenshots please).

We are going to continue to improve the menus in the client as we go forward. We are constantly working on improving and adding new features to the client. I don't think at times people realize how much time and effort it takes for us to build the Badlion Client.
PM Link
PM Link
Why is it not possible to write a ban appeal? Because you are so confident that there are no false bans?
Correct. If we issue a ban it is because we have 100% identified a specific cheat on your system which is in our database and we then issue a ban.
PM Link
PM Link
What're your future intentions for Badlion Client? How do you plan to expand it further, if you do?
I plan to keep improving Badlion Client based on community feedback. This is the easiest way to describe the future intentions. As we keep going forward and adding/improving features we suddenly see a new wave of feature requests coming in from the community. Every time I think we are running out of things to work on, a bunch of new things pop up. I think we have a long time before we truly run out of awesome features/improvements to do with Badlion Client.

I would love to keep expanding the audience of the Badlion Client. Honestly the # of concurrent users online is one of our biggest motivations for working. We love seeing the growth/appreciation of the hard work. We are looking into Mac/Linux support in parallel as we continue to develop more features. I know a lot of people are waiting for Replay Mod support before switching over to Badlion Client as their primary client. I feel that as we continue to add features and support all versions of Minecraft (at least the most used ones) we will continue to become the preferred Minecraft client.
PM Link
PM Link
Will the quickplay mod be implemented into blc?
We might look into providing the QuickPlay Mod eventually, but currently the license is not very friendly for it. We either (1) need the license to be changed or (2) need to rebuild the mod from scratch.
PM Link
PM Link
#bringbackblfactions @Varicks
I miss that guy :(

How is life going for you?
PM Link
Turns out i got a wife and soon a little human being
PM Link
Congratulations! Hope you have a healthy and happy marriage along with a healthy and successful child :)
PM Link
PM Link
Are you planning on implementing some hypixel skyblock mods in to badlion?
Im grinding the crap out of hypixel skyblock and ive seen some cool mods for it like skyblock addons (Adds drop protection boss alerts, skill counters etc) pretty sure p0wns is working one rn too.
Also, are you guys close with the hypixel team in terms of development etc?
We will add some SkyBlock mods if the game mode sticks around in the coming months. pOwns' mod has actually been directly incorporated into Hypixel already, so the mod already is outdated in theory. Glad to see Hypixel taking community ideas and putting them directly on the server though.

We have an open relationship with the Hypixel team and chat with them every now and then.
PM Link
PM Link
How long does it take for bugs to be patched on the client normally?
We seem to have a never ending stream of bugs coming onto our ticket tracker…we have fixed almost 600 bugs in the last year in the client, and I know we still have more in our backlog to work through.
PM Link
PM Link
Thread is locked